You can file a personal injury case without needing to hire an attorney. In fact a lot of people do that, especially when it just has something to do with minor accidents where the damage or the injury was very slight and minimal. The problem with that though is you are risking the chance that the insurance company would take advantage of you.
Keep in mind that it is in the interest of insurance companies if they could get you to settle for an amount lower than what is due to you. They will do everything that they can for that to happen. If you have a weak personality then you definitely won’t stand a chance.Personal Injury Cases: The Most Common Cases, Questions To Ask Your Attorney and Mistakes To Avoid
If you have a lawyer representing you then you can stay confident that what you would be getting is the amount that matches the damage that you have suffered. Hiring a lawyer would especially make sense in cases where the damage suffered was a major one or the injuries were quite extensive. Here are reasons why hiring a lawyer for a personal injury case would make sense:
- As we have mentioned, the insurance companies will try with everything that they have to get you to settle for an amount that is far lower than what’s really due for you. A lawyer would know how to counter those moves by the insurance company and they would not be intimidated. That might be one of the biggest reasons why to go for a lawyer.
- Another main reason why you should hire a personal injury lawyer is because of their knowledge of personal injury laws. These laws are different with each state and unless you have studied them extensively, there is little chance that you would familiar enough with those laws to make your case a successful one. Lawyers should know the ins and outs of the laws to help guide you.
- In situations where the case is taken to court, that’s when you would really need the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer. They would be taking a percentage of the settlement, but you should also ask beforehand if there are any other fees you need to pay up.
- Putting together a personal injury case is not an easy task. There are so many things that you would have to gather and complete first. If you are a busy person, you might not have the time to do all of that, so hiring a lawyer would make a lot of sense.
- Yes, you can handle your own personal injury case, but remember that it also means you can make things worse for you by making mistakes. If you are not someone who has been dealing with this kind of case then you are liable to do that. In big personal injury cases, that is something you can not afford.