Protecting Your Computer From Viruses and Internet Attacks

When you connect your PC to the Internet, you open up your computer to a whole new world of potential dangers. This is because the Internet is the way most computer viruses are transmitted in this day and age. Also it’s the easiest way for hackers and crackers to attack your computer from the other end of the world.Do you want to learn more? Visit Tips For Protecting Your Computer From Viruses.

The good news is that 90% of Internet users are well intentioned and the bad news is the other 10% of internet users can cause mayhem. Read further to learn how to protect yourself from the real dangers found online and how to protect your PC against these.

How to Deal With Computer Viruses

A computer virus has many similarities to a biological virus. It invades your computer system and also replicates itself and in the process causes unwanted damage, just like a biological virus invades and attacks your body’s system, except a computer virus is not a living thing.

A computer virus is a rogue computer programme that injects copies of itself into other programmes on your computer system. These typically invade executable programme files and system files at the very heart of your computer system. Some viruses merely display an irratating message on your screen or send unwanted e-mails to everyone on your contact list, other more aggresive viruses actually destroy your software programmes or system information. The worst cases of these are often hard to detect and to dislodge from your computer system, as they sneakily conceal themselves from observation and cleverly defend against removal.

Symptoms Of A Virus

Usually the first signs of knowing your computer has been infected with a virus are as follows:

  • Your system may start to perform actions totally on its own, such as sending rogue e-mails to people listed on your contacts list.
  • A normally well behaved program starts to act erratically or crash intermittently.
  • A file or two disappear from your computer or becomes corrupted.
  • Your system starts acting a bit sluggish, crashes or fails to even start.

If your systems starts to exhibit any of the above and you have been on the Internet recently in the last couple of days, then it doesn’t look good, your system has probably been infected.

How A Virus Is Caught

Whenever we share data with another computer or computer user, we risk exposing our computers to potential viruses.

In the pre-Internet days, viruses were mainly spread from users swapping files on disks. The virus file hitched a ride on the disk and jumped off when accessed on another computer.